Three arrested in Atlantic City shooting that wounded two teens


Three Atlantic City men were arrested and two guns recovered in connection with the shooting of two teens late Sunday night.
Ahmad Shannon and Tajai Hicks-Anderson are accused of shooting the two 17-year-olds in the area of Baltic and South Carolina avenues, Sgt. Kevin Fair said.
Hicks-Anderson was indicted last month on a charge of aggravated assault for his part in a fatal shooting.
Da’Quan Montague was killed during a scuffle outside A.C. Linen on March 12.
Howard Cassell was indicted for reckless manslaughter in the shooting. But his attorney said Cassell was merely defending himself after Montague and Hicks-Anderson came to his job and attacked him while he was taking a cigarette break.
Cassell was the one with the gun, though, Assistant Prosecutor Rick McKelvey said at a detention hearing in March.
Hicks-Anderson, 23, was not held on the charge.
Now he’s back in the Atlantic County Justice Facility as an alleged shooter in Sunday night’s incident.
Officers Ryan Kov and Bryan O’Neill were driving in the area of Kentucky and Baltic avenues at about 10:41 p.m., when they heard several gunshots, according to the police report.
The officers were trying to locate the shots when they saw a vehicle driving at a high rate of speed on Baltic Avenue, and turned onto New York Avenue, Fair said.
The officers were able to catch up to the vehicle and saw a bag was covering the license plate, according to the report.
As officers were getting alerts that two men had been found shot, Kov and O’Neill tried to stop the vehicle, but the driver initially refused, Fair said. After several turns and other officers arrived, the driver stopped in the 400 block of N. South Carolina Avenue.
After getting three men out of the car, police found a loaded handgun inside. It had been reported stolen from Raleigh, N.C., Fair said.
Shannon, Hicks-Anderson and Devin McClary were arrested.
Shannon, 19, was also found with a loaded gun that he was trying to hide in his pants, Fair said.
All three are charged with two counts each of aggravated assault, and one count each of unlawful possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and conspiracy.
Hicks-Anderson, 23, is also charged with hindering apprehension and receiving stolen property.
McClary, 23, is additionally charged with eluding and obstruction of justice.

Share this post