Atlantic City firefighters responded to a fire Wednesday morning at the Knights Inn on Albany Avenue. The fire was confined to one unoccupied unit, Fire Chief Scott Evans said. It was quickly brought under control. Advertisements
Fifteen people lost their home in an Atlantic City rooming house fire Tuesday. The fire at the 23-unit building on the 400 block of North Indiana Avenue started on the third-floor ceiling area of the four-story wood-frame building, Fire Chief Scott Evans said. The firefighters had to cut a hole in the roof to gain access for ventilation, he said. No one was injured. The Red Cross assisted with finding those displaced places to stay.
“I’m still in shock,” Jennifer Capone-Ortega says. “We lost everything. We only have the clothes on our backs.” The Pleasantville woman, her husband and young daughter lost their home to a major fire Sunday night. Their upstairs neighbor and his roommate were displaced as well.The fire has been ruled accidental. Capone-Ortega said the family had just decorated their kitchen for Christmas and planned to get their tree this week. The gift shopping was almost done.
A fire displaced five people Sunday night. The large fire burned both stories of the home that housed two apartments. Upon arrival at the building on South Second Street, the fire was in the rear and quickly extinguished, Fire Chief Steve Wilkins said. But, it was able to penetrate the eave of he first flood, and traveled inside the walls into the second floor above the ceiling and below the roof, he said. With limited
A Pleasantville man got himself and his young son out of their burning home Tuesday morning. The man was awoken by either smoke or his 5-year-old son coughing, and ran to the boy’s bedroom, Fire Chief Steve Wilkins said. An off-duty Atlantic County sheriff’s officer was driving by and called the fire in at 9:18 a.m. The father broke out a second-floor window and was able to hand his son down to a couple who
Atlantic City firefighters were on the scene of fire Friday night at Carver Hall. The blaze happened at 509 N. Tennessee Ave., where two rooms on the second floor were fully involved. There were no rescues or injuries as of just before 10 p.m. Twenty-one firefighters responded to the fire, including four who are currently on the layoff list, Fire Union President John Varallo said. “(They’re) still putting it all on the line for the
Welding work sparked a fire that sent flames up 12 floors on the outside of an 18-story Atlantic City apartment building late Wednesday morning. It took approximately 55 firefighters about 2½ hours to stop the flames that ran up rubber sheeting on the outside of the Ritz on Iowa Avenue at the Boardwalk, Chief Scott Evans said. “There was difficulty accessing the flames on the exterior,” Evans said. They used Ladder 2’s 100-foot aerial ladder
READ FULL OPINION HERE: IAFF v. AC Opinion The new 56-hour workweek for Atlantic City’s firefighters does not rise to the level of retaliation, Judge Julio Mendez ruled Thursday. But he is still concerned about safety issues raised by the fire union. Mendez granted the union two injunctions, keeping the state from eliminating terminal leave of less than $15,000. He also made the three recent deputy chief promotions acting positions. CLICK HERE FOR JUDGE’S
Jessica Gazerwitz was ready to celebrate her 21st birthday at a club in Atlantic City on Saturday night. Then, the Monmouth County woman along with friends and family piled into an elevator at the Tropicana Hotel and Casino, and wouldn’t emerge until Sunday morning. The elevator got stuck between the sixth and seventh floors, trapping the 14 would-be party-goers inside. The next opening wasn’t until the 15th floor, so firefighters had to use a rope system and
City and county detectives are helping investigate three possible arsons at the same home in the past two weeks. “It appears to be suspicious and of a human act,” Fire Chief Scott Evans told BreakingAC on Monday. “They could be related.” The latest fire burned the home on the 800 block of North Drexel Avenue, and a car parked in the driveway just before 5 a.m. Monday, Evans said. The single-family home has been unoccupied since construction began