Two local Atlantic County school districts are mourning an educator whose career brought her to both towns.
Cara Surace Bluth, 45, died Saturday from COVID-19 complications.
Bluth was a vice principal at the George Hess Educational Complex in Mays Landing, HamiltonTownship.
The Ventnor woman started her career as a first-grade teacher at Chelsea Heights Elementary School in Atlantic City.
Atlantic City Superintendent Barry Caldwell mentioned her passing during his report at Tuesday’s Board of Education meeting.
“She was wonderful,” said board member John Devlin, who grew up with her.
“She loved her job working with students and staff and dedicated countless hours to serving her school community,” her obituary said.
She is survived by her husband, Scott, and her two beloved pets, Leroy, an English bulldog, and Eli, described as a mischievous cat. She also leaves behind her parents, John and Joetta Surace, along with her sister, Erica Rose Schaffer, and brother, J.C. Surace, and their spouses Kevin Schaffer and Jessica Surace.
Bluth was a fun, loving and devoted aunt, which she learned under the mentorship of her own beloved Aunt Ginger Palmero, according to her obituary.
Bluth was one of seven deaths confirmed related to the coronavirus reported by Atlantic County on Tuesday.
She is the 15th Ventnor resident to have died of the virus.
Atlantic County reported 21,424 total confirmed cases as of Tuesday. There have been 545 deaths.
At least 8,693 have been confirmed cleared. That number is considered low, since not all of those cleared have been counted.
TOTAL BREAKDOWN BY MUNICIPALITY
- Egg Harbor Township: 3825; 61 deaths
- Galloway Township: 2682; 92 deaths
- Atlantic City: 2675; 64 deaths
- Pleasantville: 2286; 54 deaths
- Hamilton Township: 1917; 25 deaths
- Hammonton: 1679; 71 deaths
- Absecon: 1030; 40 deaths
- Northfield: 783; 38 deaths
- Somers Point: 649, 11 deaths
- Ventnor: 647; 15 deaths
- Linwood: 480; 26 deaths
- Brigantine: 466; four deaths
- Egg Harbor City: 443; 10 deaths
- Buena Vista Township: 424; five deaths
- Margate: 391; 12 deaths
- Buena Borough: 373; eight deaths
- Mullica Township: 267; five deaths
- Weymouth: 127; two deaths
- Folsom: 121
- Estell Manor: 75
- Longport: 48; one death
- Port Republic: 20; one death
- Corbin City: 14
- Undetermined: 2